WLinux – The best WSL for Windows 10
A couple of Windows 10 releases back, Microsoft delivered the Windows Subsystem for Linux. The Windows Subsystem for Linux allows you to run Linux distros, like Ubuntu, Debian, Suse and others, on Windows 10. Around the Microsoft Ignite 2018 timeframe another distro was released to the Windows Store called WLinux. WLinux is a Linux environment for Windows 10 built on work by Microsoft Research and the Debian project. WLinux is a custom Linux distro built from Debian specifically for use on the WSL. While other distros are available for WSL, WLinux is the first optimized for use by users of WSL for WSL. It helps developer run Linux tooling on Windows and integrates into perfectly into Windows.
WLinux comes with a custom setup, to prepare your environment in a very simple and easy wizard. It lets you setup some predefined software and settings and configure integration into Windows.
WLinux WSL Docker Bridge to Windows
If you want to run Docker in the Windows Subsystem for Linux, you can bring the Docker Client to the Windows Docker Engine. This allows you to run Docker directly from WSL and from PowerShell at the same time.
Of course WLinux brings the usual Linux development tools and easy setup for Ruby, NodeJS, Go, Java, Python, editors like emacs and even different shells. You can also easily add Microsoft tooling by adding Azure CLI, PowerShell Core and even Visual Studio Code.
Windows Explorer Integration and WSL Utilities (wslu)
It easily lets you to setup Windows Explorer integration and brings wslu, a collection of utilities for WSL, preinstalled. Wslu bringt the following features to the WSL
- wslusc This is a WSL shortcut creator to create a shortcut on your Windows 10 Desktop.
- wslsys This is a WSL system information printer to print out some basic system information.
- wslfetch This is a WSL Screenshoot Information Tool to print information in an elegant way.
- wslupath This is a WSL Windows path Converter that can convert Windows path to other styles of path.
- wslview This is a fake WSL browser that can help you open link in default Windows browser.
If you want to know more about WLinux, check out the website Whitewater Foundry.
Or download WLinux from the Microsoft Store.
You can also contribute on the project on GitHub.