To get the Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert certification, there is now a new exam that you need to pass, the AZ-305 Azure Solutions Architect Expert certification exam. In this blog post, I am going to share my AZ-305: Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect Certification Exam Study Guide with you. To learn and prepare for the exam, I usually use a couple of online resources, mainly Microsoft Docs and Microsoft Learn, which I am going to share with you. You can find more information about how I prepare for a Microsoft Certification exam on my blog post: How to prepare and pass Microsoft Certification Exam.
Also, check out other Microsoft Azure Certification Exam Study Guides:
- Exam AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-104: Microsoft Azure Administrator Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-204: Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-303: Microsoft Azure Architect Technologies Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-500: Microsoft Azure Security Technologies Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-600: Configuring and Operating a Hybrid Cloud with Microsoft Azure Stack Hub Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-700: Microsoft Azure Network Engineer Exam Study Guide
- Exam SC-900: Microsoft Security, Compliance, and Identity Fundamentals Exam Study Guide
- Exam DP-300: Azure Database Administrator Exam Study Guide
Here is my AZ-305 Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect Certification Exam Study Guide
It is essential to get familiar with the exam objectives and skills measured first. That is why I recommend reading the description of the exam and the skills measured.
Exam AZ-305: Designing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions
Exam AZ-305: Designing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure SolutionsMicrosoft Docs
Candidates for this exam should have advanced experience and knowledge of IT operations, including networking, virtualization, identity, security, business continuity, disaster recovery, data platforms, and governance. A professional in this role should manage how decisions in each area affect an overall solution. In addition, they should have experience in Azure administration, Azure development, and DevOps processes.
The high-level view of the skills measured in the exam:
- Design identity, governance, and monitoring solutions (25-30%)
- Design data storage solutions (25-30%)
- Design business continuity solutions (10-15%)
- Design infrastructure solutions (25-30%)
You can find more information on the exam website.
Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect certification
By passing the AZ-305 and the additional required exam, you will gain the Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect Expert certification.
Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect Expert
Candidates for the Azure Solutions Architect Expert certification should have subject matter expertise in designing and implementing solutions that run on Microsoft Azure, including aspects like compute, network, storage, and security. Candidates should have intermediate-level skills for administering Azure. Candidates should understand Azure development and DevOps processes.
Responsibilities for this role include advising stakeholders and translating business requirements into secure, scalable, and reliable cloud solutions.
An Azure Solution Architect partners with cloud administrators, cloud DBAs, and clients to implement solutions.
A candidate for this certification should have advanced experience and knowledge of IT operations, including networking, virtualization, identity, security, business continuity, disaster recovery, data platform, budgeting, and governance–this role should manage how decisions in each area affect an overall solution. In addition, this role should have expert-level skills in Azure administration and have experience with Azure development and DevOps processes.Microsoft
You can learn more on the certification website.
Free Online Microsoft Learn AZ-305 Exam Study Guide resources
Microsoft Learn provides you with free online training and learning paths for different Microsoft technologies. They not just offer reading material, but also control questions and free online labs. Here are some relevant Microsoft Learn modules and learning paths for the AZ-305 Microsoft Azure Architect Design Certification Exam. Microsoft Learn is an important part of my AZ-305 exam study guide.
- Architect network infrastructure in Azure
- Architect storage infrastructure in Azure
- Architect compute infrastructure in Azure
- Architect infrastructure operations in Azure
- Architect a data platform in Azure
- Architect message brokering and serverless applications in Azure
- Architect modern applications in Azure
- Architect API integration in Azure
- Architect migration, business continuity, and disaster recovery in Azure
Microsoft Docs AZ-305 study guide resources
One thing I always used to prepare for my Microsoft exams is Microsoft Docs. Here are the relevant Microsoft Docs which I used to prepare and study for the AZ-305 exam.
Design Identity, Governance, and Monitoring Solutions (25-30%)
Design a Solution for Logging and Monitoring
- design a log routing solution
- recommend an appropriate level of logging
- recommend a monitoring tool(s) for a solution
Design Authentication and Authorization Solutions
- recommend a solution for securing resources with role-based access controls
- recommend an identity management solution
- recommend a solution for securing identities
- recommend an organizational and hierarchical structure for Azure resources
- recommend a solution for enforcing and auditing compliance
Design Identities and Access for Applications
- recommend solutions to allow applications to access Azure resources
- recommend a solution that securely stores passwords and secrets
- recommend a solution for integrating applications into Azure AD
- recommend a user consent solution for applications
Design Data Storage Solutions (25-30%)
Design a Data Storage Solution for Relational Data
- recommend database service tier sizing
- recommend a solution for database scalability
- recommend a solution for encrypting data at rest, data in transmission, and data in use
Design Data Integration
- recommend a solution for data integration
Recommend a solution for data analysis Recommend a Data Storage Solution
- recommend a solution for storing relational data
- recommend a solution for storing semi-structured data
- recommend a solution for storing non-relational data
Design a Data Storage Solution for Non-relational Data
- recommend a data storage solution to balance features, performance, and cost
- recommend access control solutions to data storage
- design a data solution for protection and durability
Design Business Continuity Solutions (10-15%)
Design a Solution for Backup and Disaster Recovery
- recommend a recovery solution for Azure, hybrid, and on-premises workloads that meets recovery objectives (RTO, RLO, RPO)
- understand the recovery solutions for containers
- recommend a backup and recovery solution for compute
- recommend a backup and recovery solution for databases
Design for High Availability
- identify the availability requirements of Azure resources
- recommend a high availability solution for Compute
- recommend a high availability solution for non-relational data storage
- recommend a high availability solution for relational data storage
Design Infrastructure Solutions (25-30%)
Design a Compute Solution
- recommend a Virtual Machine-based compute solution
- recommend an appropriately sized compute solution based on workload requirements
- recommend a Container-based compute solution
- recommend a Serverless-based compute solution
Design an Application Architecture
- recommend a caching solution for applications
- recommend a messaging architecture
- recommend an event-driven architecture
- What is Azure Event Grid?
- Event-Driven Architecture in the Cloud with Azure Event Grid
- Quickstart: Route custom events to web endpoint with the Azure portal and Event Grid
- Tutorial: Monitor virtual machine changes by using Azure Event Grid and Logic Apps
- Features and terminology in Azure Event Hubs
- Quickstart: Create an event hub using Azure portal
- Tutorial: Stream data into Azure Databricks using Event Hubs
- recommend an automated deployment solution for your applications
- recommend an application configuration management solution
- recommend a solution for API integration
- evaluate migration solution that leverages the Cloud Adoption Framework
- assess and interpret on-premises servers, data, and applications for migration
- recommend a solution for migrating applications and Virtual Machines
- recommend a solution for migrating databases
- recommend a solution for migrating unstructured data
Design Network Solutions
- recommend a network architecture solution based on workload requirements
- recommend a connectivity solution that connects Azure resources to the Internet
- recommend a connectivity solution that connects Azure resources to on-premises networks
- optimize network performance for applications
- recommend a solution to optimize network security
- What is Azure Firewall?
- Network security groups
- Azure Web Application Firewall on Azure Application Gateway
- Application Gateway configuration overview
- What is Azure Firewall Manager?
- What is Azure Front Door Service?
- Create an Azure Bastion host
- Azure security baseline for Virtual Network
- Integrate Azure services with virtual networks for network isolation
- Application security groups
- Azure DDoS Protection Standard overview
- Virtual network TAP
- recommend a load balancing and routing solution
- Tutorial: Balance internal traffic load with a Basic load balancer in the Azure portal
- Create an internal load balancer by using the Azure PowerShell module
- Quickstart: Create a Load Balancer to load balance VMs using the Azure portal
- What is Azure Front Door Service?
- Quickstart: Create a Front Door for a highly available global web application
- What is Traffic Manager?
- What is Azure Route Server?
- Virtual network traffic routing
Tips and Resources
I hope this AZ-305 Designing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions for the Azure Solutions Architect Expert Certification Exam Study Guide helps you pass the exam and get the Azure Solutions Architect certification. I also recommend that you open a free Azure account if you don’t have one yet. You can create your free Azure account here. Also, check out my blog posts about Microsoft Azure Certification:
- Why you should become Microsoft Azure certified
- How to pick the right Azure exam certification path
- How to prepare and pass a Microsoft Azure exam
- Learn Microsoft Azure in 2020
- AZ-104 Microsoft Azure Administrator Exam Study Guide
I hope you enjoyed my AZ-305 Study Guide and it helps you with exam prep. Did I miss any link, or do you have any recommended AZ-305 Azure Solutions Architect Expert Certification Exam Study resources? Let me know in the comments.Tags: AZ-305, AZ-305 Study Guide, Azure, Azure Solutions Architect, Certification, Exam, Microsoft, Microsoft Azure, Study Guide Last modified: December 8, 2021