What’s in my bag for Microsoft Ignite 2019
For the last couple of Microsoft Ignite conferences (2015, 2017, 2018), I wrote a blog about what I will carry in my bag. I decided to do that again, and give you a quick look and share with you what’s in my bag for Microsoft ignite 2019 in Orlando. If you are a first-time attendee, you might enjoy a few tips on how I pack and what I take with me during the conference days. If you already a Microsoft Ignite veteran, you might still find some interesting tips you can use yourself. I am also interested to hear about your tips and what you are packing for Microsoft Ignite 2019.
I am super excited to meet with people from all around the world and help the team presenting and speaking in a couple of sessions and hosting some Channel9 live interviews. So if you are there, make sure you come over and say hi.
Let’s have a quick look at some of the things we keep in mind. First, attendees will get some SWAG like the Ignite backpack and a water bottle. So keep in mind that you might need to leave some space in your luggage on the day way back, and you might not need to bring your own backpack to the event since you will get one. Rick Claus and Joey Snow did a full video review on this year’s Microsoft Ignite 2019 conference backpack here.
The next thing you need to be aware of is that the Microsoft conference is enormous, and your sessions and meetings may be spread over the whole venue. You will walk a lot. It is crucial that you have good and comfortable shoes and save weight as much as possible when packing your bag.
What did I pack for Microsoft Ignite
I try to pack light, and this is what I bring to Microsoft Ignite 2019.
- Same as last year, the primary devices this year will be the Microsoft Surface Go. Next to it being a notebook, tablet, and desktop replacement, it is very lightweight and small, which will not add a lot of weight. However, it still comes with a full Windows 10. This makes it a great device to carry it around the conference. And with OneNote, it should be great to take notes. I will have a look at the Surface Pro X, which will be available on November 5th, and it looks like a more powerful device then the Surface Go but still is thin and light. There will be a Microsoft pop-up store at Microsoft Ignite, and I hope that they have a couple of Surface Pro X devices available.
- The Surface Pen, especially for conferences, workshops, and training, I like to take handwritten notes or draw things to discuss ideas and solutions with people.
- Since I will do some serious work during Ignite, I will bring my Surface Book 2. The main reason for this is the screen size and performance. When I am working a couple of hours, a little bit more screen, real estate helps a lot.
- The Surface Headphones and their noise-canceling feature is some real lifesaver. I like them especially when I travel and have long flights. But I also like that they now support Bluetooth so that I can connect wirelessly. I also use them regularly for conf calls.
- I am also carrying the Samsung Galaxy Gear S3, which helps me tracks the steps I walk during Microsoft Ignite and the limited sleep I get during this event. Trust me, you will definitely walk a lot during that conference.
- For presentations, I got a Microsoft USB-C to HDMI and VGA adapter. Since the Surface Book 2 and the Surface Go, both use USB-C for an external dongle, this makes it simple to carry just one type.
- I just use one power adapter of the Microsoft Surface Book 2, which can power the Surface Go and the Surface Book 2. It also has an integrated USB port for charging the phone, speaker, and other stuff.
- I will bring one of my Microsoft hoodies, which I quickly can put on and take off during the conference. As usual, you will experience some temperature differences between outside and inside. To quickly adjust to the right temperature, will not only make you happy but will also reduce the chance of you getting sick.
- Next to that, I will bring some cables, sunglasses and a bunch of other stuff you need during a conference.
Now you have seen what I will be carrying, let me know what you pack in the comments.
Preparing is key; make sure you have a look at the session catalog and plan your session. You can always switch and go to another session, but making sure you know about the sessions you want to see, helps. Speaking about sessions, make sure you have a look at my session about Hybrid Management Technologies.
Nex to sessions there are other fun things to do:
- Azure Developer and Architecture Center (DAC) where you can talk and meet with experts to discuss and listen to lightning talks
- Channel 9 live shows and interviews
- Microsoft Store
- Expo Floor with a lot of partners and sponsors
- You can also take Microsoft Certification exams directly there, some of them even for free.
- and much more
This was a quick look at what’s in my bag for Microsoft Ignite 2019. Let me know what your tips for Microsoft Ignite 2019 are in the comments.