The content of the AZ-500 Microsoft Azure Security Technologies exam was just updated in May 2020. That is why I want to share my new updated AZ-500: Microsoft Azure Security Technologies Certification Exam Study Guide for 2020 with you. If you are passing the AZ-500 exam, you will earn the Microsoft Certified: Azure Security Engineer Associate certification, that you understand how to implement security controls and threat protection; manage identity and access; and protect data, applications, and networks in cloud and hybrid environments as part of end-to-end infrastructure.
To learn and prepare for the exam, I usually use a couple of online resources, mainly Microsoft Docs and Microsoft Learn, which I am going to share with you. You can find more information about how I prepare for a Microsoft Certification exam on my blog post: How to prepare and pass Microsoft Certification Exam.
Also, check out other Microsoft Azure Certification Exam Study Guides:
- Exam AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-104: Microsoft Azure Administrator Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-204: Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-303: Microsoft Azure Architect Technologies Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-304: Microsoft Azure Architect Design Certification Exam Study Guide
Here is my AZ-500 Microsoft Azure Security Technologies
It is essential to get familiar with the exam objectives and skills measured first. That is why I recommend reading the description of the exam and the skills measured.
Exam AZ-500: Microsoft Azure Security Technologies
Candidates for this exam are Microsoft Azure security engineers who implement security controls, maintain the security posture, manage identity and access, and protect data, applications, and networks. Candidates identify and remediate vulnerabilities by using a variety of security tools, implement threat protection, and respond to security incident escalations. As a Microsoft Azure security engineer, candidates often serve as part of a larger team dedicated to cloud-based management and security and may also secure hybrid environments as part of an end-to-end infrastructure.
Candidates for this exam should have strong skills in scripting and automation; a deep understanding of networking, virtualization, and cloud N-tier architecture; and a strong familiarity with cloud capabilities, Microsoft Azure products and services, and other Microsoft products and services.
The high-level view of the skills measured in the exam:
- Manage identity and access (20-25%)
- Implement platform protection (35-40%)
- Manage security operations (15-20%)
- Secure data and applications (30-35%)
You can find more information on the exam website.
Free Online Microsoft Learn AZ-500 Exam Study Guide resources
Microsoft Learn provides you with free online training and learning paths for different Microsoft technologies. They not just offer reading material, but also control questions and free online labs. Here are some relevant Microsoft Learn modules and learning paths for the AZ-500 Microsoft Azure Security Technologies Certification Exam. Microsoft Learn is an important part of my AZ-500 exam study guide.
- Secure your cloud applications in Azure (6 modules)
- Implement resource management security in Azure (6 modules)
- Implement network security in Azure (5 modules)
- Implement virtual machine host security in Azure (6 modules)
- Manage identity and access in Azure Active Directory (9 modules)
- Manage security operations in Azure (8 modules)
Microsoft Docs AZ-500 study guide resources
One thing I always used to prepare for my Microsoft exams is Microsoft Docs. Here are the relevant Microsoft Docs which I used to prepare and study for the AZ-500 exam.