As more and more companies move their operations to the cloud, it’s becoming increasingly important to have a well-planned and executed cloud migration strategy. One of the key components of a successful cloud migration is a solid foundation, and that’s where Azure landing zones come in. In this blog post, we’ll explore five reasons why you should consider using Azure landing zones for your next cloud migration.
What is an Azure landing zone?
Before we go into the five reasons why you should use Azure landing zones for your cloud migration to Microsoft Azure, let’s have a look at what an Azure landing zone is.
For many organizations, the Azure landing zone conceptual architecture below represents the destination in their cloud adoption journey. It’s a mature, scaled-out target architecture intended to help organizations operate successful cloud environments that drive their business while maintaining best practices for security and governance.
This conceptual architecture represents scale and maturity decisions based on a wealth of lessons learned and feedback from customers who have adopted Azure as part of their digital estate
An Azure landing zone is the output of a multi-subscription Azure environment that accounts for scale, security governance, networking, and identity. An Azure landing zone enables application migration, modernization, and innovation at enterprise-scale in Azure. This approach considers all platform resources that are required to support the customer’s application portfolio and doesn’t differentiate between infrastructure as a service or platform as a service.Source Microsoft Learn
To learn more about Azure Landing Zones check out the Microsoft Cloud Adoption Framework. Also check out my videos with the Azure Enablement Show on how to deploy Azure Landing Zones using Bicep.
5 reasons to use Azure Landing Zones
- Improved Security: One of the biggest concerns companies have when moving to the cloud is security. With Azure landing zones, you can rest assured that your cloud environment will be secure from the get-go. Azure landing zones include pre-configured security controls, network segmentation, and identity management to protect your data and applications. This can help you meet regulatory requirements, such as compliance with industry standards such as PCI-DSS, HIPAA, and ISO 27001, and avoid security breaches that could compromise your data.
- Increased Agility: Another advantage of using Azure landing zones is the increased agility they provide. With Azure landing zones, you can quickly set up your cloud environment and start using it right away. This can help you accelerate your time-to-value and get your applications up and running faster. The fast and efficient setup process can also help you reduce the costs associated with deploying a cloud environment from scratch.
- Better Governance: One of the biggest challenges companies face when moving to the cloud is ensuring that their cloud deployment is consistent and aligned with their business goals. Azure landing zones provide a set of governance controls that help you enforce policies and standards across your cloud environment. This can help you ensure that your cloud deployment is consistent and aligned with your business goals. The governance controls also provide visibility into your cloud environment, allowing you to monitor and track your cloud usage and costs.
- Scalability: As your business grows, your cloud environment will need to grow with it. Azure landing zones are designed to be scalable, so you can easily add or remove resources as needed. This can help you meet the changing demands of your business and ensure that you’re always able to provide the resources your applications need. With Azure landing zones, you can easily scale your cloud environment up or down to meet your changing needs, ensuring that your cloud environment is always the right size for your business.
- Cost Savings: One of the biggest benefits of moving to the cloud is cost savings. By using Azure landing zones, you can optimize your cloud deployment for cost efficiency. This can help you reduce your cloud spending and maximize your return on investment. Azure landing zones provide a cost-effective solution for companies looking to move to the cloud, as they provide a secure and efficient foundation for your cloud environment. Additionally, the scalability of Azure landing zones can help you avoid over-provisioning resources, which can result in unnecessary costs.
In conclusion, Azure landing zones are an excellent solution for organizations looking to migrate to the cloud. They provide improved security, increased agility, better governance, scalability, and cost savings. Whether you’re just starting your cloud journey or are well on your way, Azure landing zones can help you get the most out of your cloud investment. With Azure landing zones, you can ensure that your cloud environment is secure, efficient, and aligned with your business goals. If you’re ready to take your cloud migration to the next level, consider using Azure landing zones to help you get there.
If you want to learn how to migrate servers to Azure using Azure Migrate, check out my video below.Tags: Azure, Azure Landing Zones, Cloud, Landing Zones, Microsoft, Microsoft Azure Last modified: February 14, 2023