Yesterday Microsoft launched Outlook.com. Just after a few hours after the launch Outlook.com got over a million users.
Besides my job as Private Cloud Architect I am also a part-time tech student. Now I just found a cool blog post from Tony Tai about how Office 365 compares with Google Apps if you use them as a student.
Yesterday morning I realized I did not get any mails over night so something must be wrong with the sync of my Windows Live/Hotmail account. After checking my Windows Live account under settings –> Email+accounts I could see the message “account is not up-to-date”. By tapping on the Windows Live account I got the following error message.
Windows Live error Not updated We're having a problem synchronizing with m.hotmail.com Last tried [xx] seconds ago Error code: 8600108
After searching the web for some time I found the solution, the problem only appeared when I was syncing E-Mail. After unchecking the E-Mail check box the sync worked fine, except the mail sync of course. Now after it seems that this had to be a problem with a email. I deleted the latest messages on live.com and check the checkbox for E-Mail in my Windows Live account on my phone again the sync worked fine again.
This error can indicate a back-end mail server issue, which may be caused when Windows Live tries to sync an email with a large or problematic Word document such as an attachment. There could also be a temporary service outage.
More Information: Here
Some of my friends now get Windows Phones and I think it is important to start right and get the best possible user experience.
Cleanup your Windows Live Account. All your Contacts are saved in the Cloud, using Windows Live, Google or Exchange. You can not save contacts on your phone or sync contacts between your Windows Phone and your PC without the “Cloud” as your middle man. I think the most people will not have Exchange Online account so I would recommend using a Windows Live account.
Now when you start your Windows Phone for the first time you login with your Windows Live account and this will sync all your Windows Live contacts to your phone. So you can make your life much easier if you have a clean contacts list.
- Log-in to live.com and go to contacts.
- Rename your contacts with their real names, this is important that Windows Live and the Windows Phone can merge accounts with other services like Facebook or Linkedin.
- Add other services in your live.com account (Facebook and Linkedin for example)
- Cleanup your Contact list. You can use a cleanup function:
- This will merge Accounts and cleanup duplicates.
- If you still have duplicate contacts you can combine them.
Hotmail or Windows Live do support ActiveSync for Mobile Devices like Windows Phone 7, iOS, Blackberry and so on. But it does not support Desktop Clients like Mac OS X Mail, iCal and Apple Address Book. For Windows Computers with Outlook I recommend using Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector.
So if you wanna setup your Hotmail account as an Exchange account instead of a POP3 account on your iPhone, thats how you do it.
- Open Settings, Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tab on “Add Account…”
- Now you get a menu for adding accounts, here tab on Microsoft Exchange
- Now add your Email address and account name (your account name is the same as your email address
- Tab on next, you will get again the menu with the account data. Now add the Server m.hotmail.com
- Now you can Sync Mail, Contacts and Calendars from your Hotmail Account with your iPhone